Miltenberg: “Former NFL Player Sues Michigan State Over Expulsion,” Fox News
Miltenberg: “Triple Jeopardy in College Sexual Assault Case Ends an N.F.L Career,” The New York Times
Miltenberg: “The Takedown of Title IX,” The New York Times
Miltenberg: “The North Jersey lawyer at the center of the campus rape debate,” North Jersey News
- 8.16.18 Miltenberg, Warshow: “Wrestler at Center of Bergen Catholic Sex Abuse Lawsuit Speaks Out for the First Time,” North Jersey Record
- 8.3.18 Miltenberg: “Colleges Stick With Obama-Era Title IX Guidance,” The Weekly Standard
- 7.27.18 Miltenberg: “Is there a sexual assault epidemic at US universities?,” Sky News
- 7.20.18 Miltenberg: “Trump Administration Defends Campus Sexual Assault Rules,” NPR
- 7.9.18 Miltenberg: “She Said She Was Raped; Now She’s In Jail After Telling Cops It Was A Lie,” BuzzFeed News
- 6.13.18 Miltenberg: “For College Students Accused of Assault, ‘Ramifications Are Real’,” The Detroit News
- 6.8.18 Miltenberg: Interview on The Ross Kaminsky Show, TalkRadio 630KHow
- 6.4.18 Miltenberg: Interview with Kerry Picket on The David Webb Show, SirusXM Patriot 125
- 6.1.18 Miltenberg: “Former NFL Player Sues Michigan State Over Expulsion,” Fox News
- 5.30.18 Miltenberg: “Triple Jeopardy in College Sexual Assault Case Ends an N.F.L Career,” The New York Times
- 5.7.18 Miltenberg: “Yale Holds Hearings in Case of Student Cleared of Rape,” The New York Times
- 4.23.18 Miltenberg: “Ex-Ole Miss Student Files Lawsuit Against University Over Sexual Misconduct Allegation,” Clarion Ledger
- 3.28.18 Miltenberg: “An Unfortunate ‘Perfect Storm,'” Boston College Law Magazine
- 3.19.18 Miltenberg: “19 More Women Accuse Northwestern Professor of Sexual Harrassment, bullying,” Chicago Sun Times
- 3.15.18 Miltenberg: “Sexual Assault on Campus: A Special Report,” New Jersey Monthly
- 1.23.18 Miltenberg: “Kudos and Caution, Solving One Problem, Creating Another,” New Jersey 101.5
- 12.18.17 Miltenberg: “Andrew Miltenberg | The Rich Zeoli Show” CBS Philly
- 12.12.17 Miltenberg: “Lawyer For Man Accused Of Sexual Assault Criticizes Cornell’s Title IX Investigation,” WSKG News
- 12.6.17 Miltenberg: “The Takedown of Title IX,” The New York Times
- 11.28.17 Miltenberg: “Is there a way to prevent sexual misconduct in the workplace?” The FOX News Rundown
- 11.28.17 Miltenberg: “College student suspended for sexual harassment sues school,” New York Post
- 11.28.17 Miltenberg: “Suspended student alleges UVM bungled sexual misconduct investigation,” Burlington Free Press
- 11.15.17 Miltenberg: “Fearing funding loss, colleges’ rush to judgment in sex assault cases can ruin young men’s lives,” New Jersey News
- 10.24.17 Miltenberg: “US colleges refuse to ease sex assault rules despite slew of lawsuits filed by accused,” Fox News
- 10.24.17 Miltenberg: “Campus sex assault victims in Colorado worry DeVos policy changes will impede reporting,” The Denver Post
- 10.20.17 Miltenberg: “The North Jersey lawyer at the center of the campus rape debate,” North Jersey News
- 10.20.17 Miltenberg: “A Very Jerry Brown Defense of Due Process,” The Weekly Standard
- 10.16.17 Miltenberg: “Revving up Title IX lawsuits under new Trump rules,” Politico
- 10.13.17 Miltenberg: “Biden to Rutgers students: We can stop sexual violence on campuses,” My Central Jersey
- 10.13.17 Miltenberg: “Yale targeted in federal Title IX investigation,” Yale Daily News
- 9.29.17 Miltenberg: “Campuses Cautious As They Adjust To New Sexual Assault Guidelines,” NPR
- 9.25.17 Miltenberg: “DeVos dumps Obama’s campus sexual assault investigation guidelines,” FOX 5 NY
- 9.25.17 Miltenberg: “Education Secretary rescinds Obama-era guidance on investigating campus sexual assault, puts interim rules in place,” Richmond Times-Dispatch
- 9.22.17 Miltenberg: “DeVos scraps Obama-era guidelines on campus sexual assault,” The Chicago Tribune
- 9.22.17 Miltenberg: “Obama campus assault guidance gets scrapped under Trump,” The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
- 9.22.17 Miltenberg: “Revisiting Title IX process could benefit all, lawyers say,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly
- 9.13.17 Miltenberg: “How colleges handle sexual assault cases could be changing soon,” MPR News
- 9.8.17 Miltenberg: “Defending the accused, law firms specialize in campus sexual assault,” The Boston Globe
- 9.8.17 Miltenberg: “Betsy DeVos is Harming Sexual Assault Victims by Changing Title IX Guidance, Advocates Say,” Newsweek
- 9.8.17 Miltenberg: “Betsy DeVos Announces Rollback of Title IX Guidance on Campus Sexual Assault,” New York Magazine
- 9.8.17 Miltenberg: “DeVos decries ‘failed system’ on campus sexual assault, vows to replace it,” The Washington Post
- 9.1.17 Miltenberg: “Title IX Suits Mean Growth to Practices Representing Accused Students,” New York Law Journal
- 9.1.17 Miltenberg: “Law office opens in Boston exclusively defending students wrongly accused of sexual assault,” The College Fix
- 8.22.17 Miltenberg: “Sanctions Halted for PSU Student Accused of Sexual Misconduct,” The Legal Intelligencer
- 8.21.17 Miltenberg: “Penn State student’s suspension lifted amid ongoing sexual misconduct lawsuit,” Penn Live
- 8.18.17 Miltenberg: “Judge approves lawsuit against university that expelled disabled student after female raped him,” The College Fix
- 8.16.17 Miltenberg: “Former student files Title IX lawsuit against Texas A&M,” KBTX
- 8.15.17 Miltenberg: “Experts see flaws in how colleges handle sexual assault allegations,” American Bar Association
- 7.31.17 Miltenberg: “A tangled quest for fairness as students accused of campus sex assault push back,” Tampa Bay Times
- 7.24.17 Miltenberg: “Grant Neal Title IX Settlement,” The Washington Post
- 7.20.17 Miltenberg: “Student accused of assault settles suit against Columbia,” FOX News
- 7.20.17 Miltenberg: “Students Accused of Sexual Assault Have the Government’s Ear. What Are Their Goals?” The Chronicle of Higher Education
- 7.18.17 Miltenberg: “Will Mattress Girl’s backers learn from Columbia’s mistake?” New York Post
- 7.17.17 Miltenberg: “Columbia Settles With Student Cast as a Rapist in Mattress Art Project,” The New York Times
- 7.17.17 Miltenberg: “Columbia Settles Lawsuit Brought by Former Student Accused of Sexual Assault by ‘Mattress Girl’,” TIME
- 7.17.17 Miltenberg: “Male student accused by ‘Mattress Girl’ reaches settlement with Columbia in gender bias case,” The Tab
- 7.17.17 Miltenberg: “Columbia settles with student accused of raping ‘mattress girl’,” New York Post
- 7.17.17 Miltenberg: “Here’s Why Schools Might Not Change Their Approach To Campus Rape, Even If Betsy DeVos Does,” BuzzFeed News
- 7.17.17 Miltenberg: “Betsy DeVos Wants To “Quickly” Change The Way The Government Treats Campus Sexual Assault,” BuzzFeed News
- 7.17.17 Miltenberg: “Columbia University settles Title IX lawsuit with former student involving ‘mattress girl’ case,” The Washington Post
- 7.14.17 Miltenberg: “Mattress Project: Columbia Grad Settles Lawsuit Over Emma Sulkowicz’s Protest Art,” Newsweek
- 7.14.17 Miltenberg: “Expelled for sex assault, young men are filing more lawsuits to clear their names,” The Washington Post
- 7.13.17 Scoop: “Devos Planning Meetings on Title IX Guidance,” Politico
- 5.11.17 Miltenberg: “There Is No Easy Way to Clean Up Obama’s Title IX Mess,” The Weekly Standard
- 5.11.17 Miltenberg: “‘Rebecca’ Lawsuit Verdict Falls Far Short for Broadway Producers,” The New York Times
- 5.11.17 Miltenberg: “Broadway publicist hit with $90G ruling after warning prospective investors about ill-fated musical ‘Rebecca,’” The Daily News
- 4.25.17 Miltenberg: “Trial for Broadway’s ‘Rebecca’ Scandal Begins,” The New York Times
- 4.12.17 Breaking news – Lawsuit: Cornell ‘Afflicted By Anti-Male Discriminatory Bias,’ Suspended Student Who Claimed Female Punched Him
- 4.12.17 Male Cornell student alleges gender bias in Title IX lawsuit
- 3.16.17 In Georgia, a backlash builds on campus rape,” The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- 2.27.17 Miltenberg: “Interview: This Male Student Was Expelled for Raping His Girlfriend Even Though She Said He Did Nothing Wrong,” Reason.com.
- 2.22.17 Miltenberg: “Former Drake trustee sues over son’s sex assault allegation,” The Des Moines Register.
- 2.21.17 Miltenberg: “Judge Sees Bias in College Action Against Alleged Rapist,” Courthouse News Service.
- 2.16.17 Miltenberg: “Here’s How Critics of Campus Rape Policies Want DeVos To ‘Fix’ The System,” BuzzFeedNews.
A veteran trial lawyer, Andrew has been representing individuals, closely held businesses, partnerships and a wide range of investors in significant litigation for 25 years. His work focuses in equal measure on business litigation and on campus assault due process, an emerging area of law in which he has become a national leader. Andrew’s cases have generated attention from national news media, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, The Washington Post, USA Today, The Los Angeles Times, CBS Sunday Morning, New York Magazine, The Huffington Post, Fox News, and National Public Radio. (Click here to see a list of the schools where Andrew and his team have represented students.)
His business litigation practice includes partnership and shareholder conflicts, real estate disputes, successor liability/fraudulent conveyance matters, non-competition disputes, defamation, internet law and First Amendment matters. Recent cases include complex partnership dispute arbitrations — regarding breach of fiduciary duty, accounting, self-dealing, employment issues, and ownership and management of key assets — for businesses ranging from securities and commodities firms to real estate developers to a major restaurant chain. In addition to representing clients before arbitration panels, he regularly appears on behalf of clients in state and federal courts in the New York metropolitan area and beyond.
Described by Newsweek as the “go-to attorney for students accused of sexual assault,” Andrew has tirelessly advocated for the rights of accused college students to due process. He has vigorously and successfully defended students at disciplinary proceedings facing suspension or expulsion from a wide range of colleges and universities often. These institutions range from small, elite liberal arts colleges to large public universities. In all, Andrew has represented more than 150 students in college disciplinary hearings in more than 30 states. He has also filed numerous civil lawsuits against universities often traveling across the country in a search for justice in connection with mistreatment of accused students.
Regardless of the nature of the case, often Andrew brings passion and deep experience to his work. Corporate and real estate clients comment that Andrew has a sophisticated understanding of complex business issues and is able to guide clients effectively on strategic decisions. Viewed as a consummate professional in the courtroom — aggressive, yet steady and balanced — he is frequently sought out by other attorneys to serve as trial counsel. He has successfully tried numerous cases to verdict, and has been named a fellow to the Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary society for trial lawyers.
Despite his admitted weakness for underdogs and willingness to take on a just fight, Andrew embraces the practical reality that sometimes the best results come with the avoidance of litigation. His thoughtful, common sense guidance can often help clients find a way to address grievances without resorting to filing suit. Andrew also serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of several organizations.
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D.
- Emory University, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- Selected to the New York Super Lawyers List, 2006, 2010, 2013-2016
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary society for trial lawyers
- Longstanding involvement with New York County Lawyers’ Association, including as member of the Judicial Screening, Supreme Court and Federal Courts committees
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York Women’s Bar Association
- Appointed by Governor Robert Bentley as Honorary Colonel, Alabama State Defense Force
- Board member, FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality) non-profit
- Board member, The Town Hall NYC, a non-profit national historic landmark and performing arts center
- Former board member, Menorah Home & Hospital
Andrew has completed pro bono work on behalf of the following non-profits:
- Vital Theatre Company
- Adoption Crossroads
- FlatIron Alliance
- NYC Community Board 5
- New York City P.S. 89 PTA
Panelist, “Civil Liberties on Campus” conference, Stanford Constitutional Law Center.
Symposium co-sponsor, “Navigating Due Process and Title IX Issues in Campus Sexual Assault Procedures: Constitutional, Statutory, Contractual, and Tort Considerations,” Lycurgus Group LLC.