Miltenberg, “’His Life Was Derailed’: College Student Sues After Suspension for Consensual Sex,” Fox News’ The Kelly File.
Miltenberg: “The Man Who Defends Men Accused of Campus Rape,” New York Magazine’s The Cut.
Miltenberg: “The Anti-Mattress Protest: Paul Nungesser’s Lawsuit Against Columbia University,” Newsweek.
Miltenberg: “Pro Due Process Does Not Equate to Pro Rape,” New York Observer.
- 4.12.17 Breaking news – Lawsuit: Cornell ‘Afflicted By Anti-Male Discriminatory Bias,’ Suspended Student Who Claimed Female Punched Him
- 4.12.17 Male Cornell student alleges gender bias in Title IX lawsuit
- 3.16.17 In Georgia, a backlash builds on campus rape,” The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- 2.27.17 Miltenberg: “Interview: This Male Student Was Expelled for Raping His Girlfriend Even Though She Said He Did Nothing Wrong,” Reason.com.
- 2.22.17 Miltenberg: “Former Drake trustee sues over son’s sex assault allegation,” The Des Moines Register.
- 2.21.17 Miltenberg: “Judge Sees Bias in College Action Against Alleged Rapist,” Courthouse News Service.
- 2.16.17 Miltenberg: “Here’s How Critics of Campus Rape Policies Want DeVos To ‘Fix’ The System,” BuzzFeedNews.
A veteran trial lawyer, Andrew has been representing individuals, closely held businesses, partnerships and a wide range of investors in significant litigation for 25 years. His work focuses in equal measure on business litigation and on campus assault due process, an emerging area of law in which he has become a national leader. Andrew’s cases have generated attention from national news media, including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, USA Today, The Los Angeles Times, CBS Sunday Morning, New York Magazine, The Huffington Post, Fox News, and National Public Radio. (Click here to see a list of the schools where Andrew and his team have represented students.)
His business litigation practice includes partnership and shareholder conflicts, real estate disputes, successor liability/fraudulent conveyance cases, non-competition disputes, defamation, internet law and First Amendment matters. Recent cases include complex partnership dispute arbitrations — regarding breach of fiduciary duty, accounting, self-dealing, employment issues, and ownership and management of key assets — for businesses ranging from a commodities trading firm to a real estate developer to a major New York restaurant. In addition to representing clients before arbitration panels, he regularly appears on behalf of clients in state and federal courts in the New York metropolitan area and beyond.
Described by Newsweek as the “go-to attorney for students accused of sexual assault,” Andrew has tirelessly advocated for the rights of accused college students to due process. He has vigorously and successfully defended students at disciplinary proceedings facing suspension or expulsion from a wide range of colleges and universities. These institutions range from small, elite liberal arts colleges to large public universities. In all, Andrew has represented more than 75 students in college disciplinary hearings in more than 30 states. He has also filed numerous civil lawsuits against universities in connection with mistreatment of accused students.
Regardless of the nature of the case, Andrew brings passion and deep experience to his work. Corporate and real estate clients comment that Andrew has a sophisticated understanding of complex business issues and is able to guide clients effectively on strategic decisions. Viewed as a consummate professional in the courtroom — aggressive, yet steady and balanced — he is frequently sought out by other attorneys to serve as trial counsel. He has successfully tried numerous cases to verdict, and has been named a fellow to the Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary society for trial lawyers.
Despite his admitted weakness for underdogs and willingness to take on a just fight, Andrew embraces the practical reality that sometimes the best results come with the avoidance of litigation. His thoughtful, common sense guidance can often help clients find a way to address grievances without resorting to filing suit.
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D.
- Emory University, B.A.
- New York
- U.S. District Court – Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of New York
- Selected to the New York Super Lawyers List, 2006, 2010, 2013-2016
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, an honorary society for trial lawyers
- Longstanding involvement with New York County Lawyers’ Association, including as member of the Judicial Screening, Supreme Court and Federal Courts committees
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, New York Women’s Bar Association
- Appointed by Governor Robert Bentley as Honorary Colonel, Alabama State Defense Force
- Board member, FACE (Families Advocating for Campus Equality) non-profit
- Board member, The Town Hall NYC, a non-profit national historic landmark and performing arts center
- Former board member, Menorah Home & Hospital
Andrew has completed pro bono work on behalf of the following non-profits:
- Vital Theatre Company
- Adoption Crossroads
- FlatIron Alliance
- NYC Community Board 5
- New York City P.S. 89 PTA
Panelist, “Civil Liberties on Campus” conference, Stanford Constitutional Law Center.
Symposium co-sponsor, “Navigating Due Process and Title IX Issues in Campus Sexual Assault Procedures: Constitutional, Statutory, Contractual, and Tort Considerations,” Lycurgus Group LLC.